Thursday, May 6, 2010

Comfort Foods: Vegan Gravy

So... this is the recipe I used to make gravy for biscuits and gravy on Comfort Foods night. But I'm not sure how well I followed it?

I do remember it took way less than 8-10 minutes to thicken the gravy. Also, I didn't do any "chopping" or "mincing." I just put half an onion and five cloves of garlic in our food processor and pulverized them.

I used more than 1/2 tsp dried sage, but I think that's a good starting point. Add more as you taste, etc...

Vegan Gravy

Ingredients

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp nutritional yeast
4 Tbs shoyu
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Directions

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce to form a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the broth. Season with sage, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment